SpeakUpCNU

Thanks for stopping by! This is a space for students at Christopher Newport University to share concerns and engage in discussion. This site is run by CNU Student Government Association as a way to connect students to delegates who can help them realize change. Use your votes to bump up the ideas that you’re passionate about!

Posting can be done anonymously or from an account that you can create, and they can be about almost anything. Posts or comments that egregiously break these rules may be deleted. If you have any questions about SpeakUpCNU that are not student concerns, please contact sga@cnu.edu.

SpeakUpCNU

Categories

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 23 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Not many people eat every meal in the dining halls. And its not fair that RA's have to have the 19 meal plan with no dining dollars. All of the 10, 14, and 19 meal plans cost the same so why do RA's have to have the 19?

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dining & Food  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I think all of the academic buildings should be open 24hours a day so that students can access them and use them at their leisure to do work or just get away from roommates that they need space from for a while. I just don't see the reason to close an academic building when students want to do work.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. I think CNU should invest in a Multicultural Center or stand alone Office dedicated to Diversity & Inclusion. White Culture is well represented on campus by clubs, Greek life, and the student body. Marginalized groups need a space where we can foster a sense of unity within our distinct communities. 1 Administrator, 1 student org, a minority panel with no leaders from our communities, and a few Greek orgs is not enough. I’d also like to see our historically African-American Greek Organizations get spaces dedicated to their organization much like the Greek lawn but instead with plots.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Homecoming Week needs a big upgrade. Most other schools have concerts and activities that make alumni excited to comeback! Ideas: Concert, water balloon fight on the great lawn, a tailgate that goes into the evening with DJ’s and food in the Luter Lot, Activity Hour during the lunch hour, Wild’n Out or some other type of game show re-enactment, Date Auction, an NPHC step show! Y’all get where I’m coming from!

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. We should have a communal bike system available for students where there are a few designated spots to pick them up but you can leave them anywhere and pick up a bike and go. This system is in use at a few other schools and would benefit the student body

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I'm a wimp and hate that walk in the dark. Especially as a female, I would feel more safe walking back to Rapp in the dark especially when it's really late at night

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. CNU needs a homeride system. Virginia tech has one for their school, and it has buses that go to major areas(NOVA, Richmond, Charlottesville, etc.) every weekend that allows for an easy way for students to get home. Many people try to get rides home or to other colleges to visit friends/family, and some of them workout, but others do not and it forces people without cars to stay at college instead of visiting the person they wanted to. If we had a homeride system, students would have more ways to get places they needed to go for a weekend.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Physical fitness is grossly under-taught and just havin a gym isn't enough. There should be hands-on fitness classes that not only teach theory, but practical, hands-on technique for different types of exercises. These classes could even count as 1 credit labs or 3 credit elective courses. It would be a great incentive to have a healthier campus, and allow for busy people to work exercise into their schedules while working towards graduating at the same time.
    We already have the equipment so why not.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Students should feel protected while at school. There are not enough safety measures in place to prevent any kind of shooting. CNU PD is not enough to prevent attacks as they cannot be everywhere at once. Whether professors are being armed or students or RA's, there should be more people who can stop shootings before they get out of hand. There could be a very thorough process that ensures each gun holder is qualified. In this area especially, I wish I could have my gun here on East campus to defend myself and other classmates.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I understand that the center of our campus is beautiful and we should be proud to show it off to our families and friends at graduation. However, my parents have supported me emotionally and financially for the past 4 years and I feel they deserve to SEE me get my diploma. At graduation last year, I sat not too many rows behind the graduate themselves. Still, I was unable to see the stage due to the lack of stadium levels. The screens were put up to show what was on stage through video, but it was very sunny and still…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Buildings and Grounds  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I think a swing set would be a nice addition to campus for places to relax at. Perhaps somewhere near the vball pit??

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Commons needs to have the big buffalo sauce dispensers like Regattas. This buffalo sauce inequality is a travesty.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dining & Food  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I like to work outside when it's nice. But there aren't enough tables to sit at especially near JR and Santoro. It would be great to add a few picnic tables near the JR courts.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. How come the food at commons is so much worse then Regattas? There never seems to be anything good for dinner there. Please up vote this idea if you agree that the Commons food quality needs to be greatly improved.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add cnu connect to an option under the application

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Redoing all the buildings and adding on is great and everything but shouldn't all this private funding be going to opening more slots for classes or funding clubs and athletics? I won't be able to graduate early because of professors constant refusal to break their caps on important classes so why doesn't the school pay for another section? Or what about intermural sports teams that don't get the funding needed to be an actual team besides just a part time club? If students really do come first I'd like to see more funding going to that rather than a pretty…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. People want to eat healthier but you cant fit a cold salad in a take out box along with hot food. It doesnt fit and it also makes the salad hot and gross. There needs to be clear, smaller take out boxes at the salad bar at both dining halls only for putting salad in that the servers know not to put anything else in. Having a salad and a main course separated is more filling and allows people to eat slightly healthier without sacrificing one or the other.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?