SpeakUpCNU

Thanks for stopping by! This is a space for students at Christopher Newport University to share concerns and engage in discussion. This site is run by CNU Student Government Association as a way to connect students to delegates who can help them realize change. Use your votes to bump up the ideas that you’re passionate about!

Posting can be done anonymously or from an account that you can create, and they can be about almost anything. Posts or comments that egregiously break these rules may be deleted. If you have any questions about SpeakUpCNU that are not student concerns, please contact sga@cnu.edu.

SpeakUpCNU

Categories

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. We are all students at CNU, so why not let our IDs work to get into every dorm on main campus? I visit other dorms frequently and it's extremely frustrating to have to wait for someone who lives in that dorm to use their card to open the door. Also, I don't think CNU students should have to get "signed in" to a dorm at all, but I'd compromise with just pushing back the sign in time two hours.

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Buildings and Grounds  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. They said they fixed it but I still can't connect to wifi and even when I'm hard wired it's slower than it should be

45 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I was recently assaulted in a building on campus. My injuries were severe and I am trying to finish the semester with a severe concussion. I was shocked to find out that there are no cameras in that building but we have enough money for new Greek housing and a belltower....PLEASE PUT IN CAMERAS ITS NOT SAFE!

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Change gosnold hall into a rec. center with a laser tag arena upstairs, a rock wall, put some arcade games inside.
    1. It creates on campus jobs by running the rock wall and laser tag
    2. Clubs and other organizations can rent it out for bonding purposes (brings money to cnu)
    3. Gives more options for on campus activities and safe fun

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. At other Universities such as Va-tech, there are policies in place to allow students of legal drinking age to keep certain quantities of alcohol in their on-campus residence. If larger universities can do this there is no reason we cannot. Having students go to bars creates more risk for the student population. Schooners existence on east campus is hypocritical given the current state of alcohol policies on campus.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. While some people may argue that this could contribute to health problems, healthy eating is ultimately the responsibility of the users, and froyo can be a part of a healthy diet when eaten in moderation.

From my point of view, such an addition would be popular and increase business for dining halls.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Does anyone else think that all the additions being put onto campus are getting a little ridiculous? Our campus is already beautiful, and it seems that we have all the buildings and study areas we need. I think that instead of pouring millions of dollars into bell towers, alumni houses, and on-a-dry-campus Greek housing is money being poorly spent. If CNU has these millions at their disposal, that money should go toward scholarships--especially financial aid scholarships for kids in the Hampton Roads area that would not normally get a chance to go to a university. Elegant bricks, columns, and the…

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Could we please get some people to preform at the ferg who are actually worthwhile. Some famous singers, rappers, and other cool acts would be nice. I hate to say it but most college adults are not super interested in symphony's and other mundane things that may be similar that we show now. I would just like to have a cool event for a change that CNU students would actually want to attend.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Winter weather is perhaps the greatest, easily avoidable, risk to the health and well being of CNU employees and students. School closings are announced too close to the closing time forcing commuter students in commute to school arrive just in time to see it close. Many times NNPS, TNCC, ODU, WM, and NSU all announce closings yet CNU does not and students and teachers are forced to endure potentially dangerous and risky commute and a campus either frozen over or flooding. Inevitably, someone you know sprains an ankle after slipping. The unpredictable and slow closing decision are avoidable risks that…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Or extend the hours a little bit....

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Many students on and off campus are up well past midnight doing school work or are night owls in general. It woukd be beneficial to all students if they could go to the gym at kater hours whether it be for a break from school work or in many cases those who feel too self conscious to work out when it is crowded. This could encourage students to exercise more often and get healthier while still dedicating enough time to their studies.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Buildings and Grounds  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I think at least one dining hall/half a dinning hall should stay open until atleast 10 PM if not until midnight

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Student Employees should be eligible for Faculty/Staff pricing or, at the very minimum, be permitted to park in Faculty/Staff lots, especially commuter student employees.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Sundays are an important study and homework day

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. A 7 swipe meal plan should be created with $200 dining dollars for students to use. It would cost less than the 10 but more than the 5. This way students can have one swipe for each day of the week and still have lots of dining dollars to use.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I'm not sure why a college library should ever be closed, except maybe on breaks. CNU is first and foremost a place for growing as students, and closing the place literally built for learning sends the message to other schools and our donors that CNU is only an educational institution during the week. We already lost a huge chunk of study space by closing the back of the library for construction, so why are we closing even more space on the weekends?

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. We need to do more as a campus to promote diversity. It's hard making friends here and it makes me question if I made the right decision to come here.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. I have worked as a Barista before and those who work at Einstein's are horrible. They are rude, slow, and do not know how to make a majority of their own menus drinks. I literally heard them say that they just "bs whenever they get that order." Additionally, their coffee and expresso is burnt and left sitting there all day and completely overpowers whatever else is in the cup. All the lattes taste the same. All the baked goods are tough, and undercooked. As well as the food. When the staffers are on their shift they talk to each other…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dining & Food  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. By adding barcodes with nutritional information, a student can more easily track their meals on fitness apps. This will promote a healthier campus and would be easy to accomplish because the dining services already have an inventory of nutritional facts of all of their foods.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?