SpeakUpCNU

Thanks for stopping by! This is a space for students at Christopher Newport University to share concerns and engage in discussion. This site is run by CNU Student Government Association as a way to connect students to delegates who can help them realize change. Use your votes to bump up the ideas that you’re passionate about!

Posting can be done anonymously or from an account that you can create, and they can be about almost anything. Posts or comments that egregiously break these rules may be deleted. If you have any questions about SpeakUpCNU that are not student concerns, please contact sga@cnu.edu.

SpeakUpCNU

Categories

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. We are all students at CNU, so why not let our IDs work to get into every dorm on main campus? I visit other dorms frequently and it's extremely frustrating to have to wait for someone who lives in that dorm to use their card to open the door. Also, I don't think CNU students should have to get "signed in" to a dorm at all, but I'd compromise with just pushing back the sign in time two hours.

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Buildings and Grounds  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Many students on and off campus are up well past midnight doing school work or are night owls in general. It woukd be beneficial to all students if they could go to the gym at kater hours whether it be for a break from school work or in many cases those who feel too self conscious to work out when it is crowded. This could encourage students to exercise more often and get healthier while still dedicating enough time to their studies.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Buildings and Grounds  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I understand that the center of our campus is beautiful and we should be proud to show it off to our families and friends at graduation. However, my parents have supported me emotionally and financially for the past 4 years and I feel they deserve to SEE me get my diploma. At graduation last year, I sat not too many rows behind the graduate themselves. Still, I was unable to see the stage due to the lack of stadium levels. The screens were put up to show what was on stage through video, but it was very sunny and still…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. I'm a commuter student and I very often work with or visit students who live in the dorms. I understand having to be signed in after 8pm but I should not have to be signed in if students living in other dorms do not.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Joseph,

Thank you for voicing your opinion. I’m happy to inform you that this project is underway. We have talked to Julie Kittelson, the Director of Residence Life and Dean Hughes in regards to this issue and they fully support this idea! Right now we are trying to figure out logistic aspects but we will try our best to get this issue solved!

Sincerely,
    Eric Seo

5. I really wish I wasn't forced into getting a 12 month contract for next year because the 10 month contract buildings ran out. I'm sorry but I can't afford this and it's specially pointless if you're graduating in may but aren't considered a senior for housing. And if they are going to force students to live on campus 3 of the 4 years, they should make it somewhat cheaper or at least around the same price as apartments like port. Not $200 more per month.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Buildings and Grounds  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. It seems like the budget for landscaping must be very large, what with the constant mowing, fertilizing and planting. Is it really necessary for the Great Lawn to be mowed and fertilized so frequently? The grass is actually burning out from the amount of fertilizer and green paint, and having difficulty coping with the amount of traffic it gets between foot traffic and equipment because it is so weakened.

I appreciate the campus looking so nice, but it is kind of ruined by the amount of equipment constantly at work primping things that could simply be left alone, and that…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Buildings and Grounds  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. There is a necessity for a second squat rack to be added to the gym. The two Smith machines that are in place are hardly ever used and are taking up a lot of space. If you remove one of the two, there is room for a second squat rack to be added. It is not right to have to constantly wait for the only squat rack to be available, nor is it right to feel rushed during your workout because of a line building up. Squatting on the Smith machine does not provide the same quality as squatting using…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. We should have more upperclassmen dorms....

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. I have discussed this idea with a few students and although some may think that it is only cosmetic, we think that a clock addition to center of the library right as you enter is needed. While I am sure there are some logistics problems that may arise, I know that clocks were not originally included in the classrooms until the professors asked for them, so we feel that it may be necessary for the students to make this request.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. One room should be quiet and the other should be for group projects and groups that want to chat. This creates a balance for every type of student.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Our Constitutional rights should not be limited when we step foot on a college campus as Adults. A 21 year old in the United States can legally carry a gun under a concealed carry permit. Meaning, these people are authorized to carry in most public places, so how is a college campus separate or different in the means of self defense? In fact, other states have implemented campus carry with little to no negative outcomes. Studies prove that 98% of gun violence happen in gun free zones, and we've seen it in recent news. Our American Cities, Chicago, Washington DC,…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Buildings and Grounds  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Better pest controls in the residence halls: four times this year I have found bugs crawling out of my suitemates sink/our shower drain, not to mention cockroaches or ants that are always finding their way into the room. Routine pest control would help with potentially health and safety, as well as making residence halls more comforting to live in.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. The maker space concept will provide many students with the ability to have access to; metal working, wood working, rapid prototyping, electronics shops, and even ceramics/sculpting. All in a single place so that any idea a student envisions can be designed, revised, prototyped and tested. It will bring people together from many different backgrounds and majors to test their ideas and improve the quality of life on campus and in the Newport News area.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?